Sunday, March 29, 2015

Tellico Gap, NC - Nobo 129

This post is  from March 15, 2015.   The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/723351474


Made it 19.7 miles to Tellico Gap tonight.  Highlights today were seeing a new hiker companion for me for the first time today - my shadow. Another first today was getting lost several times near the summit of Wylah Bald Mountain where other trails intersected with the Appalachian Trail and the trails were marked poorly. I probably lost 20 minutes going in circles. In any case I made it to this gap at about 6 PM and got a ride to this mountain lodge where I am staying in great comfort tonight. Helen and I are discussing plans for my return trip onto Maine it looks like I will be flying home from Asheville, North Carolina on Wednesday afternoon -.so far so good.

My new hiking companion - he only shows up when it is sunny which has not been happening:


I had the good fortune to stay in the Aquaone Lodge tonight.  The owners Steve and Maggie picked me up at Tellico Gap and drove me to the lodge about 15 minutes away and brought me back to the Gap in the morning.  Their lodge was a wonderful experience in comfort and luxury buried in the deep woods of NC.  This is a photo of me eating the sumptuous breakfast Maggie cooked for me before Steve drove me back to the Gap to start the next day:


No comments:

Post a Comment