Sunday, March 29, 2015

Unnamed Tent Site above Stecoah Gap, NC - Nobo 149

This post is actually from March 16, 2015.  The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/723351490

Hi all sleeping alone on a mountaintop tonight in a tent in dry warm weather it seems like a nice night to be camping out. I went through the NOC today which is one of the Appalachian Trail milestones I think it is so well-known because it is an agglomeration  of a few stores and restaurants that is exactly on the trail so many young hikers tend to hang out at the spot for a while. I was able to make phone calls there to set up my shuttle tomorrow afternoon at five from Fontana dam to get me back to a city where there is an airport for a flight home on Wednesday I'll come back to that same place on April 2 and  resume hiking  the trail.The terrain is getting more rough as I approach the great Smoky Mountain National Park and the miles are getting a little bit slower for me there were two very big climbs today one was about 8 miles long and it took a lot out of me. I walked until almost dark tonight and camped at this isolated spot in order to make just 19 miles so either I'm getting tired or the going is getting tougher or probably both. I've added another couple shots of some scenery that I saw climbing out of the valley that the NOC is in this afternoon. 



1 comment: