Saturday, April 4, 2015

Newfound gap, NC/TN border -Nobo 206

This post is from April 4, 2015.   The GPS data from today's hike has unfortunately been lost.

Last night high up on the slopes approaching Clingmans Dome was a very cold and violent night weather-wise there were thunderstorms and lightning and tornado warnings in eastern Tennessee. When I awoke my tent was covered in ice from the rain during the night. It was quite cold and was an effort to break camp and to pack up the tent with my hands freezing. I really couldn't wear my gloves  doing all the things I needed to do to break camp so my hands got quite cold. I wore almost all my clothes when I started hiking today - three layers on top two layers on the bottom and I did warm up once I started hiking. I was glad that I had my winter hat and gloves with me as I climbed up to Clingmans Dome - the highest point on the AT.
When I reached the top there was almost no view at all as the visibility was about 20 feet as you can see in the picture above.  The descent
was still cold but it got warmer as I approached Newfound Gap where I got off the trail today and hitchhiked down to Gatlinburg, Tennessee where I am tonight. I got a ride from a lovely family from Ohio vacationing and on their way to Gatlinburg (hope to hear from you on this blog!). There was some awesome trail magic going on in Newfound Gap as you can see from the photos as well.

10 comments:

  1. Love the pictures!
    What's this? A tailgate party?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are doing OK - stay warm Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting clingmans no summit view with the trees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That shot was just below summit on a side trail where I found someone to take my picture. I then stuck right on the AT after that shot as there were no views anyways could barely see 20 feet

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello from your new Ohio friends!! We were happy to give you a lift to Gatlinburg. Listening to your stories of your travels up to that point inspired us!! I would love to post the pic of you and the boys if that is possible??? Glad to hear you are doing good :)

    By the way, we are thinking of naming you 'ironman'... Props to you and your courage!! Let me know where I can send these pics so you can add them.

    Darn, one more thing we wanted to tell you, we met a young man up at Clingmans Dome, who is also doing the trail. Nice dude, and we told him if he runs into Tarman to tell him hello, so if you meet a young man in his early 20's with dread locks and an awesome personality, that'd be him ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mari, I would be proud to post that photo of me with your sons. Just email it to me at paulg@bondgarden.net!

    ReplyDelete