Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Walnut Mountain shelter- northbound mile 260

This post is from Tuesday April 7, 2015.    The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/742278297

Put in over 21 miles today including an embarrassing situation where I got disoriented and hiked about 15 minutes southbound retracing my steps without realizing it until I met an oncoming girl that I had passed going north about 1/2 hour before. She asked if I was turning around already ...😊


There were several hours of heavy rain and some thunder and lightning that was a bit scary. I ended up just hiking through it as I was not near any shelter anyway. Then it cleared up and I am in a great campsite tonight comfortable in my totally LEVEL tent.

Here is the view from Mack's Patch a huge bald I went over today just after the rain stopped:

I want to write down the trail names of some people I have met before I forget them. I may add more about them in the future.

PA TRAILRUNNER- 62 year old man usually wearing a 2012 Boston marathon shirt. He hails from Pennsylvania and he is going to leave the trail for a bit in June to support his son who is doing the Western States 100.

ROCKOCEAN young man from Tampa whose two loves are hiking and surfing.

CHAMELEON young woman I passed as she tried to catch up with her friend (UKELADY??) who subsequently found me walking in the wrong direction. Apparently this happens to a lot of people- in my defense 😇. They are hiking together sort of with another girl called LEAPFROG.

PACKMAN A guy who did not believe in the Smoky Mountain National Park rules about only tenting near shelters.

DOC (Mark from Macon, GA) a veterinarian that I had a lovely dinner conversation with tonight. He is also  A PADI Divemaster so we talked trail, diving and livestock.

3 comments:

  1. I can easily imagine getting turned around on the trail. Glad you didn't lose too much time.
    I'm curious, what's the longest you've gone with no human sightings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was interesting reading the names of the other hikers, and who they are. Love, M

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this is the day that you and Helen are going to meet - hope that happens. That will be a joyous occasion. Love, M.

    ReplyDelete