Monday, April 20, 2015

VA route 600 - northbound mile 491

This post is from April 20, 2015.    The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/753337057

Last night was truly awful with High winds and rain and both the interior of my tent in my sleeping bag wet. My hiking boots were completely waterlogged squirting water out with every step. It looked like it was going to be another rainy day so I decided to exit the trail at the first opportunity which was at VA route 600 after about only 3 miles of hiking.

 This morning after my 3 miles when I came out to the road there was UNHINGED's husband waiting for her and Eveready again. He was just trying to make sure they were okay as they slack packed on ahead with his assistance. I then started a two hour period of attempting to hitchhike during which approximately six cars passed and no one stopped. Fortunately UNHINGED's husband after seeing his wife and friend go by generously drove me back to Damascus and I was able to hook up with my ride back to the airport. I'm sure I will meet them again.

This made my last day of this stretch only 3 miles instead of the 20 I had hoped for but considering the conditions of the past 24 hours I need to be satisfied. I am now en route home for a 12 day break from hiking I will resume at friction at VA route 600 on May third or fourth. The goal of my next section of hiking will be to connect from where I just left off at Virginia route 600 to where I began in the Shenandoah national Park on October 20, 2014.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are snug as a bug in a rug in your hotel room tonight. See you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete