Monday, April 6, 2015

The Smokies are in the books - northbound mile 240

This post is from April 6, 2015.    The GPS data from today's hike was unfortunately lost.

I left the great Smoky Mountain national Park behind me when I passed through Davenport gap today around noon time there was some awesome trail magic waiting for me there as you can see from the photo below

After another two miles I reached interstate 40 and left the trail for today. I am immediately got a ride from a nice truck driver named Mickey Who was driving the Peterbilt you see in the following two photos.


Last night was difficult for the reason I mentioned earlier about pitching the tent on the slope but it was even worse when my close neighbor actually fell on my tent during the night half crushing it on me. I was happy in the morning to see that none of it was broken. I only slept about two hours during a very traumatic night. Tonight I am in a hotel in Newport Tennessee and will resume the trail whrere left off today early tomorrow morning. I should reach Hot Springs North Carolina in two days and Helen will join me there on Thursday I am looking forward to that - huge understatement 😍

6 comments:

  1. What a great looking truck. He needed a lot of brake power to stop to pick you up - nice guy. Hope you have a nice evening/night. Are you in a small town.
    Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Newport TN is not really small but I am in a hotel out near the interstate 40 and out here all I see are gas stations and convenience stores. Only 25 minutes from here back up to the trail though

      Delete
  2. Looks like you are getting much better weather on this Section.
    How's the body holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty well. 6 ibuprofen per day is getting me through

      Delete
  3. Hope your hiking went well today. Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! A man fell on your tent? Talk about a jarring way to wake up!

    ReplyDelete