Saturday, June 27, 2015

PA 325 - Northbound mile 1160

This post is from June 27, 2015.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/816586200

It was raining all day today, and started to rain heavily in the last hour of my 10 mile hike.  Today was composed of walking along an exposed ridge line in a straight line for 3 1/2 hours.  The winds became quite heavy towards the end and at one point I heard a crack and looked behind me and 2 seconds later a 3 inch thick branch crashed down onto the trail where I had just walked.  I don't know if I would have been able to get out of the way in time between the 'crack' and the collision.  It would have been a bad injury.  The strong winds were breaking branches off the trees all over the place.  Helen dropped me off at 9:30am and was waiting when I emerged at the destination trailhead at 12:55.  I had to make it a short day today as the next bail-out point is 16 miles north of here and it was really, really heavy rain when I quit and that continued throughout the afternoon.  I was very glad I was not sleeping in my tent tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment