Friday, June 12, 2015

Quarry Gap Shelter - Nobo 1081

This post is from October 26, 2014.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/622968281


Did 20.5 today. Am in a shelter in the middle of the woods in nowhere PA. Glad to be tucked in for the night as the temperature is dropping fast. Helen has booked me on a flight home from Harrisburg Wednesday evening. Body holding up well.
 
Now they are worried about protecting the rattlesnakes from us!!:


 The wild rhododendrons grow so thick here that sometimes you are literally walking through a tunnel:


 Here are some shots of the Quarry Gap shelter that I stayed at.





There was one other occupant of this shelter and he was scary.  He was one of those homeless people that live out on the AT.   He had homeless person caliber camping gear and was mentally ill.  He was screaming out loud to himself during a lot of the night which made sleep difficult for me.  I left in the morning before he got up.  I had the additional pleasure of having some kind of rodent scampering over my sleeping back pulled over my head.  I just pulled it tighter so they could not get in.

No comments:

Post a Comment