Sunday, June 28, 2015

Swatara Gap, PA 72 - Northbound mile 1178

This post is from June 28, 2015.   The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/817967450

Hiked 18 miles today through the mud from yesterday's storms.  The terrain was easy, though, so I made slick time.  I came upon a young lady Thru-Hiker in the late morning who was standing still in the trail looking at me.   Her trail name was "Towanda"  and she is a recent college graduate from NC hiking the trail solo.  Anyway, she was looking back at me to tell me about the huge rattlesnake next to the trail.  I enthusiastically said, 'cool - let me get a photo'.  She eventually thought this was a good idea and let me take a picture of her as close to the snake as she dared which resulted in this shot:





Here is a closer view of the rattler:




I ended up hiking with her for a couple of miles and we separated when she wanted to stop for lunch (I don't stop to eat, I just stuff my pockets with more food and eat as I walk).  This was near the first of two abandoned coal mining towns I passed today.  The second was called Rausch Gap.  Here are some shots of a plaque describing the town, tailings from a nearby mine, and a small cemetery left in the woods there:






Just before I reached the take-out trailhead on Route 72, I had to cross a creek on an interesting bridge:



No comments:

Post a Comment