Friday, September 4, 2015

Bemis Mountain leanto - Nobo 1947

This post is from September 3, 2015.  The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

 https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/888497940

Got a ride from Pine Ellis lodge to the trailhead with 2 other older thru hikers, BAZINGA AND PEEPAW. My shorter day yesterday worked in that I felt a lot more energetic today despite the challenges of the first 13 miles of this 19 mile day:


Here is a view looking North towards Rangeley as I descend from the summit of Mt. Bemis.



Water is quite scarce over the past 10 miles and I really had counted on getting water at this shelter when I pulled in at 6:45. The two section hikers from Georgia that were here simply said 'there is none'. After hunting a little more deeply in the woods I found a fetid little pool with bugs swimming on top but I was desperate so I filtered it with my new squeeze pocket filter and then chemically treated it and then made a milkshake 😃


Here is a shot of my tent site tonight:

Here is the same shot taken the next morning:



2 comments: