Sunday, September 13, 2015

West carry pond lean-to - Nobo 2020

This post is from September 12, 2015. The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:
Made 22 miles today,  I got up this morning at 5:45 and was hiking by 7:15 thinking that was plenty of time to make this campsite before dark. I was wrong. I ended up walking the last mile to this place with my headlamp the dark. Why? Because the Bigelow range turned out to be much harder than the elevation profile indicated and because there was this awesome trail magic with cheeseburgers at mile 15 which cost me 20 very tasty minutes. 

Though the Bigelows slowed me down they were some of the most dramatically beautiful mountains on the AT and I hope to come back to climb them when I have more time.

Here are some views from the top on one of those Bigelow peaks (in the 4 compass directions):




Flagstaff lake:



When I reached the top of Avery peak someone asked if I had seen Katahdin yet. I responded "on this trail or in my life?". They handed me their binoculars and pointed out where I should look and sure enough, about 180 trail miles to the northeast there she was - KATAHDIN!!


I Miscalculated my water today and ran out while high up on the Bigelow ridge. It was getting to be 3 patched hours without a drop of water so I ended up filtering from this lovely spot to relieve my thirst:



Met FINCH today from Kentucky She thinks she may also be finishing on September 26 like me, She said that she is actually sad that this experience is nearing its end. I can understand that feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment