Friday, September 4, 2015

Route 4 Rangeley - Nobo 1964

This post is from September 4, 2015.  The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/888498053

Hiked 17 miles today to my rendezvous with Helen.

Along the way at mile 4.4 of the day I passed this beautiful spot overlooking Rangeley Lakes:


My son Peter met his friend Mike at this spot 13 months ago as Peter joined Mike for 2 days of his 2014 thru-hjike.

This is a shot of me when I met up with Helen at the Rte 4 trailhead in Rangeley:



On the drive back to my truck which had been left in Shelburne, NH the previous Monday, we passed this sad site of a freshly killed black bear cub;


4 comments:

  1. Have you done the Katahdin segment yet? I see they have closed at least one of the trails already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug. Once I reached the CT/MA border and jumped over my already-completed MA/VT/NH to Franconia Notch, I have been hiking the trail in a continuous fashion, Franconia Notch to Katahdin. The trail that has been closed is the Abol trail and I believe it was closed this entire season. The AT trail to the summit is via the Hunt trail which is open until Nov.1 with restrictions and generally unrestricted until Oct. 15. There are hundreds of Thru-hikers in the NH and ME woods that are counting on this! My scheduled finish day is September 26, which includes two breaks at home. I have built in quite a bit of buffer.

      Delete
    2. Cool....looks like you have it all under control. Keep on hiking!

      Delete
  2. I hope the weather stays comfortable the next few weeks. We will have a celebration on your scheduled finish day - champagne and lots of treats- so keep up the good hiking/work. I'll send a pkg. w/Helen to keep in the car until your descent.

    Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete