Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Stealth tenting near Bald Mtn Stream - Nobo 2055

This post is from September 14, 3015. The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/900070767

After a hearty breakfast at Northern Outdoors lodge when they opened at 7, I tried hitching the 2 miles south on 201 to the trail. After I had walked one mile I finally got picked up so I saved a mileof extra walking at least. As far as trail miles go today was 21 miles. It started off rainy but the skies cleared midday. The problem was that I had to go over 2 small mountains today and in particular the first (Pleasant Pond Mountain) consisted of an infinite number of steeply sloped smooth stone ledges both on the ascent and descent. With the rock wet from the rain the descents were very difficult to execute without falling. Even though I try so very hard to never fall because of my artificial ankle I did and have the bloody knee to show for it.  I also had one fall where I absorbed the brunt of the fall with one of my trekking poles.  I bent the thinnest segment of the pole quite badly.  I managed to straighten it out between two closely spaced trees but I think it has been compromised and I really should get another pair before starting the 100 mile wilderness.

Here are some shots from the summit of the second mountain, Moxie Bald Mountain.  You can see that the skies have cleared by then and the rain has stopped:





Here is a shot of my campsites tonight taken while standing on the trail.  The stream in the background is the Bald Mountain stream:



No comments:

Post a Comment