Thursday, September 24, 2015

Long Pond Stream lean-to - Nobo 2085

This post is from September 20, 2015. The GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/911898089

I only made 15 miles of progress today, the trail is not easy but this was primarily due to my late 10:40sm start. This in turn was due to leaving Milliocket at about 6:30 and then dropping my truck off at Abol Bridge (the end of the 100 mile wilderness) and then driving the Honda for 2 mud-splattered hours to Greenville via the Golden Road. This is a mostly dirt private logging road that's cuts a lot of miles off the drive between Katahdin and Mooshead Lake. I had breakfast in Greenville and 15 minutes later I was in Monson at the AT trailhead locking up the bike.

There were two river fords todsy. At the first another hiker arrived right behind  me. He had his arm in a sling. It was either broken or otherwise disabled. There were 3 other thru hikers putting their shoes back on on the other side. When one of them saw the one armed guy getting nervous about crossing with only one functioning arm, this young man came BACK over the river, picked the guys pack, and carried it across. Not having a pack to throw off his balance, the injured hiker made it across ok.

I was impressed by this act of generosity from a young person.

Note that when I did this 100 mike wilderness with Ray in 2007 I only recall a single real ford. We did it in August I believe. I think things are a lot wetter this month and the rivers are correspondingly more swollen. Each ford requires a whole operation of taking off boots and socks and tying them to your pack and walking across in something like crocs. I simply cannot get my leather backpacking boots soaking wet- they would take days to dry out.

No comments:

Post a Comment