Thursday, August 6, 2015

Jim Murray shelter - Nobo 1339

This post is from August 6, 2015.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/865749591

Hiked 21 miles today despite a late start at 10:30am.

Yesterday Helen and I drove from Maine to Southeastern MA and dropped my truck at Jug End trailhead which I hope to reach in 9 days of hiking. We then drove to NYC and had a lovely evening going out to dinner and s play. We nearly missed our dinner since we fell asleep after our long drive ...

Thus morning Helen dropped me off where I left off on July 8. - Culver Gap, NJ.

The highlight of the day for me was seeing my first black bear actually during the hike. He was on the trail about 80 feet ahead of me, looked at me for 5 seconds, and then ran off before I could get a picture.

Today I reached the highest point in NJ. It did hold still long enough for a picture:



I camped tonight at the Jim Murray shelter, an unofficial private shelter with running well water - what a blessing as virtually every stream along the AT in this area is either bone dry or disgusting.



2 comments:

  1. HI, Paul, Thanks for the photos. You found a great place to camp for the night. It is nice to be surrounded by the stone wall. Later on, please tell me the story behind the stone wall.You will probably meet other bears along your route. Sleep well, and have a good day tomorrow.
    Love, Mama

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the great progress and maybe you can get home a day earlier?

    ReplyDelete