Thursday, August 20, 2015

West Hartford, VT - Nobo 1734



This post is from June 11, 2015.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/801272800 

I started my day this morning at 7am putting Helen's hybrid bike in the back of our pickup truck.  I drove all the way to White River Junction, VT and a few miles further north to West Hartford, VT, and dropped the bicycle at the AT trailhead at the Rte 89 underpass at mile 1734.  Then I drove over the very rural Pomfret Road to Woodstock, VT and then up VT route 12 to the AT trailhead at mile 1720 where I parked the truck.  By the time I started hiking it was 10:50.  The 14 miles went fairly quickly.  Some of the short climbs were a bit steep but they were always short and the miles were generally easy.  The trail skirted around the back and side of the Suicide Six ski area.  You can see this ski area from the place that I stopped for my lunch in the photo below:



In keeping with the Vermont theme, there were miles and miles of maple sap tubing through the woods:



This is a view when you emerge from the woods and descend to the White River
- you can see Rte 89 in the distance.



I reached the bicycle at about 4:45pm.   The 15 mile bike back to the truck
was harder than I had anticipated.  The 9 mile climb up to the little hamlet of Pomfret was hard with the legs tired from the 14 mile hike.  All is all, it took me 1 1/2 hours to bike back to the truck.  This is a view of the truck after I put the bike back in it and before I started the 2 1/2 hour
drive back to Maine. 




 I got back to the farm at 9pm.   A lot of work to
check off just another 14 miles of the AT :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment