Thursday, August 20, 2015

Zealand Falls Hut - Nobo 1832

This post is from August 19, 2015. The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:
I hiked 20 miles of the AT starting at the Liberty Springs trailhead near route 93. 



This was the precise spot where I left the trail last November 13 after hiking from Kinsman Notch to Franconia Notch. That required micro-spikes (easy-on crampons) and winter clothing during all the time at higher altitudes. Not sotoday as you can see from these summit shots of

Lincoln:



Lafayette:



Garfield:



South Twin:


I had to hike one mile from my motorcycle to get to the trailhead this morning and 2 1/2 from my AT end



to the truck so today was actually 23 1/2. I realized I had walked by Galehead hut too late and thus missed my water fill up as planned. I ran dry at mile 15 and those last 5 miles to Zealand hit were parched ones.

This was the elevation profile from today:


There was over 7,000 feet of elevation gain.

1 comment:

  1. Toughest day of them all today for you, with over 7000 feet of elevation gain in one day, right? Glad you survived, even with running out of water 5 miles before the end.

    ReplyDelete