Thursday, August 20, 2015

Stratton-Arlington Rd - Nobo 1629



This post is from July 18, 2016.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/838676020 

Today was definitely NOT one of my easier days on the trail.  First, it was
35 road miles between starting and ending trailheads so I started the day with a 70 mile round trip on secondary roads just to shuttle my motorcycle to the ending trailhead.  The ending trailhead, on the 'Arlington-Stratton Road' was very remote and there were a few miles of driving on dirt road to get there.  Due to the rainy conditions today and the long drive between trailheads I knew I needed to get an early start so I got up at 5 and was on the road by 6am.  Even with that early start I did not start hiking until 8:20.  I made it off the trail by 6:10pm by hiking non-stop all day except for one 5 minute break for some foot care.  I then drove the bike back to the truck and then the truck and bike north to my next destination-town, Manchester Center, VT, where I am staying tonight.  I did not reach that town until 8:30pm and had to rush to find some supper.

Today's 22 miles hike was made difficult by constant ups and downs, rocks and roots and worst of all, enormous mud-holes that were difficult to get around.  It rained on me pretty hard for an hour in the morning but then gradually cleared during the day and it was actually nice by the time I reached the motorcycle.  I was really ready to stop hiking when I reached it so this scene when I emerged from the woods was a sight for sore eyes:




There was a somewhat alarming notice posted on the bulletin board over my bike in that picture.  This is the notice:




I don't quite know what to make of this.  I don't have a choice to 'not hike in that area'.  Hopefully I find that other thru-hikers have blazed a trail around the new beaver pond.  If not, I will be getting very wet tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment