Friday, August 28, 2015

US Rte 2, Shelburne, NH - Nobo 1887

This post is from August 28, 2015.  GPS data from today's hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/880735116

Hiked 22 challenging miles today over 5 official NH 4000 footers (Wildcat D, Wildcat, Carter Dome, South Carter, Middle Carter) , plus some more 4000 footers that aren't on the list due to being too close to those.
The going was particularly steep on the ascents and descents the first 60% of today.  These descents provided me with some of my slowest per-mile average times of the 1800+ miles I have done so far.   I need to be **so** careful of not having any kind of a fall due to my artificial ankle.  If I fell even one meter and landed wrong on that sawed-off tibia the results could be disastrous and the doctors might never be able to fix it right.  So, I don't take any chances of a fall, which means I slow to a crawl on these light-weight rock climbing descents.   This made for a 12+ hour 22 mile day.  A lot more exhausting than 22 miles should feel.

As of right now, under 300 miles to go!

3 comments:

  1. Praying hard for you to have no falls...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - have you encountered a nobo from CT trail-named "Right Click" recently? We have visitors here who are friends of his. He is in NH now we think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Doug, no I have not. I will keep my ears perked or that name now, though

      Delete