Sunday, August 23, 2015

Mt. Washington Summit - Nobo 1852

This post is from August 23, 2015.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/877036014

I hiked 13 miles today almost all uphill from Crawford Notch to the summit of Mt. Washington.

I started, of course, exactly where Helen and I left off yesterday:



(Note the remaining mileage to Mt. Katahdin.)

Traversing the Webster cliffs overlooking the notch was dramatic:



I then bagged another of my missing NH 4000 footers Mt. Jackson:



And another, Mt. Pierce:



Exactly two years ago today I was in a tuxedo in that white structure (Mt. Washington hotel)  in the following picture for the wedding of my son Peter to his lovely bride Rachel.



 Last night we were together at our Loon condo and had a nice anniversary celebration dinner at the Common Man restaurant in Lincoln.  I can remember that day, two years ago, and I was limping so badly with arthritis in my right ankle I could barely walk my designated bridesmaid up to the front of the ceremony.  Two years and one artificial ankle later not one hiker passed me in today's 13 miles and I passed scores.  I smiled for many reasons.

Happy Anniversary, Peter and Rachel!!.

This is the Lake of the Clouds hut just before the final push to the summit of Washington and the warning immediately following:




Here are some shots around the summit of Washington:






This is the shot of the sign where I left the trail and will need to resume when I return in 2-3 days:



Note the remaining miles to Katahdin.  I guess the 13 miles I hiked today added up to zero. :-)

We had made arrangements for Helen to drive up the auto road and meet me at 4:30 to drive me down.  I will return in a couple of days and take the 'stagecoach' (van) up and continue my hike down to Pinkham notch.    There was a female southbound section hiker 'Amy' that had just finished her Katahdin to Washington section and needed to get back to civilization so we gave her a ride back to the C&J terminal in Dover, NH and she took a bus from there to Logan.  That was a good deed on our part.   I have been the recipient of many similar good deeds from others between Georgia and New Hampshire so I was glad to help.



1 comment:

  1. The end of your trek seems within grasp now! Hope your luck and health hold!

    ReplyDelete