Monday, August 17, 2015

US Rte 20, Lee, MA - Nobo 1546



This post is from Friday, June 19, 2015.  The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:
Slackpacked 22 miles today from Lake Buel Road to US Rte 20 in Lee, MA.

Helen and I dropped the motorcycle off at my destination for the day, US Rte
20 at about 8am:



The terrain did not include any major climbs or descents but it was constantly going up and down with fair poor footing so it was a good workout.  Here is a road crossing in the middle of the day:



Typical view looking down into a valley with small Western, MA farms:



The end of the day is in sight!:

In this same area I passed the ruins of an old outdoor social club whose lands were ultimately donated to the AT:





The AT crosses the MASS PIKE via this footbridge:




Finally, I arrive at my destination for the day, US Rte 20:



This was an emotional milestone for me in that this is where my Appalachian Trail journey intersects with Helen and my cross-country bicycle trip from 1981.  Here are a couple of shots of Helen and I in 1981 biking west towards Seattle on US 20 not too far from where the AT crosses it:






I re-met 'Proudfoot', a thru-hiker I met just north of Roan Mountain in TN (See my post from MM/DD/YY)  He and I spoke at length and he remembered me as I did him.  He has done well to reach MA in that amount of time.  He was hiking with another thru-hiker named 'MacGuiver' and seemed to be synching up with 'Happy' at shelters at night
 



1 comment:

  1. How neat that you remembered crossing that stretch during the 1981 bicycle trip. That sure was a loooong time ago! Who would have imagined you would be hiking the AT 34 years later?

    ReplyDelete