Friday, August 14, 2015

Massachusetts!! and Dad - Nobo 1512

This post is from August 14, 2015.   The GPS tracking of this hike can be found at:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/865749755

My father died exactly 25 years ago today.  A quarter of a century without him and I still feel the pain of his absence in my life. He missed so much, including most of the raising of his two grandchildren Jennifer and Peter and now during this hike the birth of his first great grandchild, Eleanor.  He and I had many hikes around the beautiful Ponkapoag Pond where I grew up with him, my mother, and my sister Leslie.  It may seem crazy, but as I now do this bigger hike I like to think that he is enjoying my adventure with me, looking down from heaven.

So, I made it to Massachusetts today!



There were beautiful views when I passed over the summit of Bear Mountain, the highest peak in Connecticut, at about 7:50 this morning:






Also nice views from near the summit of Mt. Everett, the first peak the AT goes over once crossing into Massachusetts:




I had foolishly thought that since I only had to do 12 miles to get back to Jug End Road trailhead where I left my pickup truck 9 days ago that they would be easy.  Nope.  Seemed like hiking up and down cliffs a lot of the time.  I am just so terrified of a bad fall that will hurt my artificial ankle that I slow to a crawl in situations like this and the 12 miles took me 6 1/2 hours.  But, I made it out with only one minor slip and fall on my behind with no damage.



As most of you already know, by arriving at Jug End Road trailhead today, I have 'connected the dots' with a 300 mile section I did primarily in June and July of this year between haying cycles at the farm.  So, I have now actually completed 1812 miles of the AT in the past 9 months, so I am well on schedule to complete the thru-hike within the requisite 12 months.  As far as the blog goes, I have wanted to keep it in geographical (not chronological) order, so I will be posting the updates for the hikes between where I ended today (mile 1512)  and Franconia Notch, mile 1812, over the next few days.

About 360 miles to go to Katahdin!!

No comments:

Post a Comment